I put together a cookbook of my grandma's Christmas recipes that includes this classic eggnog appetizer. Serve it as a dip with fresh fruit or drizzle it over cake for dessert.
20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- Assorted fruit and pound cake cubes
- In a small saucepan, combine the eggnog and cornstarch until smooth.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- stir in sour cream. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks
- form. Fold into eggnog mixture with extract if desired. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight. Serve with fruit and cake cubes. Yield:
- about 2-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 64 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.