I put together a cookbook of my grandma's Christmas recipes that includes this classic eggnog appetizer. Serve it as a dip with fresh fruit or drizzle it over cake for dessert.
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- Assorted fruit and pound cake cubes
- In a small saucepan, combine the eggnog and cornstarch until smooth. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into eggnog mixture with extract if desired. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with fruit and cake cubes. Yield: about 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Eggnog Dip in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p23
Reviews for Eggnog Dip
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2015
"Does this really call for Sour Cream, and not Cream Cheese? Sour Cream Egg Nog sounds pretty weird..."