Here's an elegant pie that says “holiday” in every bite. The tart cranberries contrast nicely with the rich gelatin-thickened eggnog. It's a repeat dessert at our house.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1-3/4 cups eggnog
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth; stir in cranberries. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool for 15 minutes. Pour into pastry shell; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over remaining water; let stand for 5 minutes. Cook and stir over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Gradually stir in eggnog and rum.
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Fold in whipped cream; pour over cranberry layer. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Eggnog Cranberry Pie in Country Woman November/December 2005, p31
Reviews for Eggnog Cranberry Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review