- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract, divided
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2/3 cup quartered maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Green food coloring
- Additional maraschino cherries, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of sugar; beat 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add remaining sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture Combine cake flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Fold into egg mixture until no flour streaks remaining. Spread batter evenly in a greased and floured 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a linen towel dusted with 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Roll cake up in towel, starting with a short end. Cool on wire rack. Meanwhile, for filling, combine cornstarch and a small amount of eggnog in a saucepan; mix until smooth. stir in remaining eggnog; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in remaining vanilla. Cool.
- Unroll cake; spread with filling. Sprinkle with pineapple, cherries and coconut; roll up again. Whip cream with remaining confectioners' sugar; tint green. Spread over outside of cake roll. Chill 3-4 hours. Garnish with cherries if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Eggnog Cake Roll in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p37
Reviews for Eggnog Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2010
"This brings back memories of my mother's great cooking/ baking skills. This was a Christmas holiday favorite!"