I came up with this recipe purely by accident. I was making egg salad and just kept adding different seasonings. When my friend tried it, she raved about it.
Recommended: 32 Lunches To Spice Up Your Workday
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- Lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in the eggs, cheese, onion, carrot and bacon. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each pita half. Add lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 3-6 servings.
Originally published as Egg Salad Pitas in Country August/September 2000, p51
Reviews for Egg Salad Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2010
"This is great. I substituted celery seed for the celery salt and used chopped celery instead of the bacon. The carrot and the celery gave it great crunch. Used whole wheat pita bread. Very tasty and will make again."