I came up with this recipe purely by accident. I was making egg salad and just kept adding different seasonings. When my friend tried it, she raved about it.
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- Lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in the eggs, cheese, onion, carrot and bacon. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each pita half. Add lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 3-6 servings.
Originally published as Egg Salad Pitas in Country August/September 2000, p51
Reviews for Egg Salad Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review