- 3/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 14 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain well. Stir in the coleslaw mix, water chestnuts, onions, soy sauce, garlic powder, ginger, salt and pepper. Saute until cabbage is crisp-tender.
- Position an egg roll wrapper with one point toward you. Place about 1/4 cup sausage mixture in the center. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with beaten egg; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet-and-sour sauce. Yield: 14 egg rolls.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Egg Rolls
"this is not a review, so pls ignore the stars. it wouldn't let me post w/o them. i haven't made this recipe but i have frozen plenty of uncooked spring rolls which are very similar. maybe use spring roll wrappers instead of egg roll wrappers when you want to freeze them, but you can freeze uncooked wontons which have the same skin as egg rolls, so it should not be a problem. make sure to lay plastic wrap or foil in between the layers so they won't stick together. when frying, do not thaw, just brush off any ice crystals so the oil won't splatter and fry till golden. when reheating leftovers, do not microwave or they will be soggy. reheat them in the oven. they will be a darker the second time around but they will be crispy."
"Great starter egg roll recipe! This was my first attempt at egg rolls and these were awesome. I only change I did was to remove the meat after cooking and cook the cabbage mixture separately. I then split that in half and did half a batch with the pork and the other with left over diced shrimp!"
"very good thanks for the info"
"Thiis recipe is perfect. I wish I could say I did it exactly but truthfully as long as the items are approximate and made as instructed you will be happy with the results. Today I used a chicken breast instead of the pork and didn't add the water chestnuts. They are perfect fryed and eaten or freeze the leftover filling and make them on another day. Just make sure to drain the filling before assembling so it doesn't make the dougn(wrapper soggy) or make the oil splatter with leaking liquid. You can't freeze raw rolls. The dough will become yucky when thawing. Either freeze the filling by itself or lightly fry the roll and refry it when needed to be crisp."
"Just for the record, you cannot freeze uncooked egg rolls, or they will be impossible to fry. But once fried and cooled, they are very easy to reheat."
"Very easy; very tasty. My husband just loves these eggrolls and asks me to make them frequently! They are great appetizers too."
"GREAT FLAVOR!!! I will never buy another egg roll....now what to do with left over filling? :)"
"These are great I have made them many times. I use pulled pork. I like it much better than bulk scrambled pork. I did have trouble with freezing these. As they thawed the wrapper wasn't the same texture it got very sticky. I fried them anyway but the filling was coming out and it ruined the grease. Excellent egg rolls I highly recommend them however for me making ahead and freezing them turned out terribly. Oh well."
"My family loved these egg rolls. I used the smaller won ton wrappers because I served them with other hor d'oeurves. I left out the water chestnuts because I don't particularly care for them but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I'm gonna try to make a batch and freeze them so that I have them on hand for a quick snack."
"I have never made egg rolls before and I thought it was so easy and fun to make! And of course they are amazingly delicious!!!!!Chef Wile"