Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake Recipe
Chocolaty cake only gets better when topped with caramel frosting. Kids and adults alike will devour this and never miss the eggs.—Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, caramel topping, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece equals 259 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC