Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake Recipe
Chocolaty cake only gets better when topped with caramel frosting. Kids and adults alike will devour this and never miss the eggs.—Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, caramel topping, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece equals 259 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC