Chocolaty cake only gets better when topped with caramel frosting. Kids and adults alike will devour this and never miss the eggs.—Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, caramel topping, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p57
Reviews for Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2009
"Thank you. Much needed recipes for my family as 4 of the 5 have food allergies."