Chocolaty cake only gets better when topped with caramel frosting. Kids and adults alike will devour this and never miss the eggs. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, beat the first six ingredients until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, caramel topping, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008, p57
Reviews for Egg-Free Chocolate Caramel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2009
"Thank you. Much needed recipes for my family as 4 of the 5 have food allergies."