Egg-Free Apple Cake Recipe
“This originated during the Depression when staples were scarce, but I made a few changes to make it healthier and add zip. Everyone who eats it requests the recipe. It's great for cold weather and travels well.” Christine Holmes - Mineral, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 4 cups diced peeled apples
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the first eight ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda; fold in the apple mixture. Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 286 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC