Egg-Free Apple Cake
“This originated during the Depression when staples were scarce, but I made a few changes to make it healthier and add zip. Everyone who eats it requests the recipe. It's great for cold weather and travels well.” Christine Holmes - Mineral, Virginia
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 4 cups diced peeled apples
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a large saucepan, bring the first eight ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat;
- cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda; fold in the apple
- mixture. Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 286 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium,