This bread is always at our table for the holidays. It is a great bread for bakers who are intimidated by yeast breads. Make sure the yeast is fresh and the dough rises.—Robin Price, Argillite, Kentucky
- 1 package (2-1/4 ounces) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg yolks, oil, sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into six pieces. Shape each into a 16-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with remaining egg white mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 2 loaves (10 servings each).
Originally published as Egg Bread Braids in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p128
Reviews for Egg Bread Braids
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review