Egg and Tomato Scramble
The recipe for Egg and Tomato Scramble comes from Ilva Jasica of St. Joseph, Michigan. "My mother used to make this when I was a girl," she notes.
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 plum tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg or Eggland's Best Egg substitute equivalent
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- Additional fresh basil, optional
- In a small bowl, combine tomato and basil; set aside. In another
- bowl, beat egg, water and garlic. Heat oil if desired in a small
- nonstick skillet; add egg mixture. Cook and stir gently until egg is
- nearly set. Add tomato mixture and salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook and stir until egg is completely set and tomato is heated
- through. Serve with toast. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 1
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with egg substitute and without oil and salt) equals 1 starch, 1 meat; also, 152 calories, 289 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 20 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 4 gm fat.