Egg and Tomato Scramble Recipe
- 1 plum tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg or egg substitute equivalent
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- Additional fresh basil, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine tomato and basil; set aside. In another bowl, beat egg, water and garlic. Heat oil if desired in a small nonstick skillet; add egg mixture. Cook and stir gently until egg is nearly set. Add tomato mixture and salt and pepper if desired.
- 2. Cook and stir until egg is completely set and tomato is heated through. Serve with toast. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 1 serving.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with egg substitute and without oil and salt) equals 1 starch, 1 meat; also, 152 calories, 289 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 20 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 4 gm fat.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.