The recipe for Egg and Tomato Scramble comes from Ilva Jasica of St. Joseph, Michigan. "My mother used to make this when I was a girl," she notes.
- 1 plum tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg or egg substitute equivalent
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- Additional fresh basil, optional
- In a small bowl, combine tomato and basil; set aside. In another bowl, beat egg, water and garlic. Heat oil if desired in a small nonstick skillet; add egg mixture. Cook and stir gently until egg is nearly set. Add tomato mixture and salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook and stir until egg is completely set and tomato is heated through. Serve with toast. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Egg and Tomato Scramble in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p12
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Egg and Tomato Scramble
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2009
"Fast and easy. Will probably add some crumbled turkey bacon next time."