- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup lactose-free margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the water, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Fill foiled-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat margarine until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, water and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Egg- and Lactose-Free Chocolate Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p19
Reviews for Egg- and Lactose-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 5, 2013
"These were moist, flavorful and rose well, even without the eggs. I decreased the sugar to about 1 cup, and left out the cocoa for a vanilla cupcake."