- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 prepared 9-inch round chocolate cakes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir in 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Beat in the shortening, butter, vanilla, salt and remaining sugar until smooth. Spread between cake layers.
- For glaze, melt butter and cocoa in a small saucepan. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing some to drape down the sides. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Edna's Ho Ho Cake
Sort By :
"I read all the reviews...folks I used granulated sugar..as written. the trick is to beat it a LONG time, as I do ANY buttercream or filling recipe. That makes it light and fluffy. Patience is the key you need to let the sugar dissolve. I am lucky enough to have a stand mixer..i turn it on and walk away and do something else for 5 minutes. If i didnt have a stand mixer I would just take the time to use a hand mixer the same way. Directions are clear to use 2 9" PREPARED chocolate layers. This is a great recipe...everyone loves it!!"
"Really good. I've made it twice. The recipe definately means confectioners sugar. When making the filling just keep beating it until it thickens. It takes awhile."
"what was the filling between layers?this recipe as printed omitted the hoho filling"
Patricia it calls for 2 prepared cake layers, you can use a mix or your favorite cake recipe. The choice is yours. "blueridge435Is there something missing in your recipe? Perhaps using prepared cake mix for the layers? Patricia J
"what kind of shortening did everyone use?"