—Edna Miller, Mount Hope, Ohio
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 prepared 9-inch round chocolate cakes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir in 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Beat in the shortening, butter, vanilla, salt and remaining sugar until smooth. Spread between cake layers.
- For glaze, melt butter and cocoa in a small saucepan. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing some to drape down the sides. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Edna's Ho Ho Cake in Country June/July 1990, p53
Reviews for Edna's Ho Ho Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review