Edna's Fry Pies Recipe
Forget picking up pastries at the bakery, just make these delicious fry pies. It has the wonderful taste of pie with the crispy, fried crust.—Edna Miller, Mount Hope, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:40 servings
- 9 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups shortening
- 2 cup water
- Thick fruit filling
- Shortening for deep-fat frying
- 8 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups warm water
- 1. To make pies, combine in large bowl the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Add water, a little at a time, until the flour mixture is moistened. Form into 4 balls.
- 2. Divide each ball into 10 pieces and roll each piece into a circle. Top one side of circle with filling and fold circle in half. Crimp edges to seal.
- 3. Heat shortening; fry a few pies at a time in deep fat until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 4. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. While pies are still warm, dip them into glaze. Allow pies to drip on wire racks until cool. Yield: about 40 pies.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC