Edna's Cream Sticks Recipe
Add that she frosts them too.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, eggs and salt; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 15-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Cut into 3-in. x 1-in. rectangles. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; cool.
- 5. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add cooled flour mixture; beat until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- 6. While sticks are still warm, make a cut in the top of each; fill with filling. Yield: 40 cream sticks.
Reviews for Edna's Cream Sticks
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC