- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 64 pretzel sticks, halved
- 4-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 32 red M&M's minis
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Crumble cake into a large bowl to measure 7 cups.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cocoa and vanilla until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar alternately with milk until smooth. Add cake crumbs; mix well. Shape into sixteen 1-1/2-in. balls and sixteen 3/4-in. balls.
- To assemble spiders, insert a wooden or metal skewer through one small cake ball and then halfway through one large cake ball; repeat with remaining balls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; insert eight pretzel halves into each large ball to form legs. Freeze 2 hours or until firm.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each spider in chocolate; allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Remove skewers and attach M&M's for eyes. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Edible Arachnids in Halloween Bookazine 2015 2015, p69
Reviews for Edible Arachnids
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2016
"Thought these were cute so made them for my Grandsons . Very easy to make . Good recipe for kids to help with ."