- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 envelopes sloppy joe mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10 hamburger buns, split
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, water, sloppy joe mix and brown sugar. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until flavors are blended. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes
"This is a healthy choice for Sloppy Joes so I will make again. I did add a bit of tomato paste from the tube as well as a bit of ketchup. The next day the flavor was much better after sitting."
"Made this tonight...it was great! Very easy and quite yummy. My boyfriend likes Manwhich and he said this is better! Will make again! My only caution would be that it only makes about six servings, not eight."
"When I told my husband that I was making turkey Sloppy Joe - he wrinkled his nose and said EWW..... Until he tasted this recipe. He took a little taste from the tip of the spoon and was completely sold. He said he couldn't wait until dinner to have it. I was very pleased. I will make this again and suggest this to my friends that want a lighter and healthier sloppy joe."
"I made this recipe out of TOH's Potlucks book and was not impressed. It was very watery. My mom actually thought I had made soup! Pretty bland tasting and dry.Instead of this recipe, I'd make the "Sloppy Joe slow cooker Recipe," also from TOH's website. It was much richer and tastier. I can see the "easy" sloppy joe recipe here is healthy, but it doesn't taste good and I don't plan to make it again.Sloppy Joe slow cooker Recipe"
"Taste was OK. Didn't care for the texture."
"I haven't made these because I was disappointed that for a healthy recipe it used a prepackaged mix that is so high in sodium."
"I thought these were average. They weren't bad, but I didn't think they were great either."
"My family loves this recipe. It's so easy to make and it's filling, too. Great after a busy day."