Even kids can help assemble this simplified Italian entree from Suzanne Runtz of Charlestown, South Carolina. She fills each pasta shell with a piece of string cheese for a deliciously gooey center, then tops the manicotti with a beefy tomato sauce.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) manicotti shells
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 14 pieces string cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Spread half of the meat
- sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Drain manicotti; stuff each shell with a piece of string cheese.
- Place over meat sauce; top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until
- the cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 468 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 999 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a