"My whole family really enjoys Mexican food," remarks Nancy Roberts of Cave City, Arkansas. "When I'm in a hurry, I make this zippy deep-dish pie. It always satisfies their appetites."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- Dash paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the beef, sausage, onion and garlic in a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stirring once to crumble meat. Drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, olives, chili powder and salt; mix well. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Whisk egg in a large bowl; add milk and corn bread mix. Stir just until moistened. Spoon over meat mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the corn bread comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tamale Pie in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p47
Reviews for Easy Tamale Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review