Easy Swiss Steak Recipe
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, brown cubed steaks on both sides in oil over medium-high heat; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and bouillon. Return steaks to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
1 steak with 3/4 cup sauce equals 255 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Easy Swiss Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.