- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown cubed steaks on both sides in oil over medium-high heat; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and bouillon. Return steaks to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Easy Swiss Steak
Sort By :
My husband told me it was one of the most tender cuts of steak he'd even eaten. My daughter isn't a big red meat fan and she even liked it. Really hearty and delicious. Will definitely make again!
This recipe was delicious and very easy to make. I used a larger amount of steak (about 6 pieces) but the same amount of the other ingredients. there wasn't any need to thicken the sauce. it was thick and delicious with baked potatoes. I'll definitely serve it again.
I made this exact same recipe in my crockpot and it was excelent. I just browned the steaks and then put everything in a crockpot on high for 3 hours. I think you could substitute beef broth in this...I would use a cup. Next time I make this I might add more of the cornstarch mixture to make the sauce a little thicker.
Easy to make and very tasty. I added cut up carrots along with the onions and celery and garlic. My husband says it's almost exactly like the swiss steak we used to get at a favorite restaurant in town.
Can beef broth be substituted for the bouillon? If so what would the amount be?