Easy Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
- 4 medium artichokes
- 8 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups cubed Italian bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 3/4 in. from the top. Using kitchen scissors, snip off the tips of the outer leaves; brush cut edges with lemon juice.
- 2. Stand artichokes in a Dutch oven; add 2 in. of water. Add lemon slices, peppercorns, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until tender and leaves near the center pull out easily. Invert artichokes to drain. Carefully scrape out fuzzy center portion of artichokes with a spoon and discard.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, parsley, cheese, 2 tablespoons oil, lemon peel, garlic, pepper and remaining salt. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with stuffing.
- 4. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; drizzle with remaining oil. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until heated through and stuffing is lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 278 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 945 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.