Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, mash the strawberries; stir in sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar, baking powder, salt, cream of tarter and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla until moistened.
- 3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Shape into two 4-in. circles. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with half of the strawberry mixture. Replace shortcake tops.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Dollop onto shortcakes. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 896 calories, 47g fat (20g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 842mg sodium, 109g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Easy Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.