Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
WHEN I married in 1946, my sister-in-law was a big help in sharing her recipes and cooking expertise and I aspired to be as good a cook as she was. Many of her recipes are still our favorites. Although I've tried a few other recipes for strawberry shortcake over the years, I always come back to this one. --Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, mash the strawberries; stir in sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar, baking powder, salt, cream of tarter and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla until moistened.
- 3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Shape into two 4-in. circles. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with half of the strawberry mixture. Replace shortcake tops.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Dollop onto shortcakes. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Easy Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC