Easy Spinach Bisque Recipe
Not only is this soup healthy and filling, it's easy to prepare and elegant besides.—Patricia Tuckwiller, Lewisburg, West Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:5-6 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Oyster crackers, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and nutmeg until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium; add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the spinach; heat through. Serve with oyster crackers if desired. Yield: 5-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 184 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC