Easy Spiced Fruit Compote
My sister shared this recipe with me years ago. It's a must for my family at Christmas. —Elaine Nichols, Mesa, Arizona
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (29 ounces) sliced peaches
- 1 can (15 ounces) apricot halves
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 5 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- Drain peaches and apricots, reserving juice. Set fruit aside. Place
- allspice and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up
- corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. In a
- large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar and reserved juice.
- Add spice bag and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil; boil for 5
- minutes. Discard spice bag and cinnamon. Add the pineapple, peaches
- and apricots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5
- minutes or until heated through. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.