I make this thick soup for our annual St. Patrick's Day party, and there's never any leftovers.—Mary Jo O'Brien of Hastings, Minnesota.
- 5-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes, divided
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Milk, optional
- Place 4-1/2 cups of the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat (do not drain). Mash potatoes; stir in butter.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the ham, celery, onion, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and remaining cubed potatoes. Stir in the mashed potato; top with cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes and other vegetables are tender. Stir in the sour cream until blended. Thin soup with milk if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Potato Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2005, p20
Reviews for Easy Slow-Cooked Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review