- 5-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes, divided
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Milk, optional
- Place 4-1/2 cups of the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat (do not drain). Mash potatoes; stir in butter.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the ham, celery, onion, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and remaining cubed potatoes. Stir in the mashed potato; top with cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes and other vegetables are tender. Stir in the sour cream until blended. Thin soup with milk if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Easy Slow-Cooked Potato Soup
"I have been making this for YEARS.......I think I first got the recipe from Taste of Home Slow Cooker cookbook! I am not someone who measures stuff, I just dump in what I like......and I feed more than 6 each night! I have NEVER used Velveeta in this recipe, I always used shredded sharp cheddar. My kids and husband ask me to make this when the weather is cold.....it's a family favorite!"
"This soup is a keeper. It is even better the next day. It is thick but as it is warmed it thins out and I did not need to add milk. Just like another review, I used 2% Velveeta and light sour cream. Easy prep and not too time consuming."
"Easy to make and quite delicious!"
"Good recipe and not too much prep work."
"This was a big hit at our house! I used 2% milk Velveeta, reduced-fat sour cream and some skim milk to thin it and it was excellent. I pare down most TOH & S&D recipes to make them healthier and still end up with delicious results- thanks for all the great recipes!"