Easy Sausage-Stuffed Loaf Recipe
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1. Thaw bread dough on a greased baking sheet according to package directions; let rise until doubled. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach, cheeses, oregano and garlic powder; set side.
- 2. Roll each loaf of bread into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center of each rectangle. Gently press the filling down; dot with butter. Bring edges of dough to the center over filling; pinch to seal. Return to the baking sheet, placing seam side down; tuck ends under and form into a crescent shape. Brush with egg.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. If desired, cool one loaf on a wire rack; wrap in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen loaf: Thaw at room temperature for 2 hours. Unwrap and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 185 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.