Easy Sausage Chowder Recipe
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the sausage and onion. Slowly add the potatoes, water, parsley, basil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add remaining ingredients; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 254 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 855 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Reviews for Easy Sausage Chowder
"This tastes soooooo good and it is so simple to make, a wonderful soup. I have used whatever smoked sausage I have on hand."
"I substituted 2- 1# pkgs of frozen corn. Thawed them first , drained them then added them to the pot. It is goooood. I also added a couple shakes of garlic powder, a stock of celery and a large diced carrot."
"A tasty change of pace from our usual corn chowder. Will be making this again!"
"This is delicious and hearty. I added a bit of minced garlic to the broth for a bit more zip. I served it with a fresh loaf of crusty bread. will make this again."
"Simple and delicious. You can't get better than that. Even my picky 7 year old scraped her bowl."
"Have made this several times before and finally getting around to rating!It's a super simple, inexpensive and comforting soup! I just increase the onion a little and just perfect every time. We enjoy a nice salad and warm bread and that just rounds it out!Thank you so much for such a terrific recipe!"
"Well, I missed this the first time I looked through these recipes....found one very similar, and rated it instead. Now I see this one.....it deserves five stars, and yes, I'll make it again! (even though I didn't make the other one, I'll bet it's a five star recipe too......almost exactly like this one!)"
"I have been making this recipe for since I discovered it in my TOH Annual Recipes that year...to make fewer calories AND Lactose free, I use turkey or chicken sausage, LactAid milk, and either a smidge of flour or cornstarch to thicken it. You can skip the creamed corn in favor of extra plain corn too. I sometimes change up on basil, depending on the kind of sausage."
"How could one make this with less calories ..skim milk?EB"
"HOW COULD ONE MAKE THIS WITH LESS CAROLIES?"
"Excellent and very easy to make."
"Great Sunday football game food."