Easy Sauerbraten Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the water, vinegar, cloves, bay leaves, salt and brown sugar. Remove 2 cups to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag. Add roast; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1-2 days, turning twice each day.
- 2. Discard marinade and spices. Pat roast dry; dredge in flour. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a small roasting pan. Add the onion, carrots, celery and reserved marinade.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Strain cooking juices; thicken if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked beef with 3/4 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup cooking juices equals 626 calories, 33 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 197 mg cholesterol, 1,056 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 61 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.