- 4 cups water
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the water, vinegar, cloves, bay leaves, salt and brown sugar. Remove 2 cups to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag. Add roast; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1-2 days, turning twice each day.
- Discard marinade and spices. Pat roast dry; dredge in flour. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to a small roasting pan. Add the onion, carrots, celery and reserved marinade.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Strain cooking juices; thicken if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Easy Sauerbraten
"Almost as good as my great omas recipe. Very very good!"
"I LOVED THIS RECIPE THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME MAKING SAUERBRATEN AFTER YEARS OF LOOKING FOR A GOOD REGIPE THIS WAS SO EASY AND I HAD PLENTY OF GRAVY .IT HAS BEEN A MONTH AND TODAY I AM MAKING IT AGAIN YUM! SAN70"
"The meat was so flavorful. But the meat left no sauce! I couldn't make a sauce with it no matter how hard I tried to do it. But For sure will make again"
"I made the whole meal- sauerbraten, red cabbage, and spaetzle, all from Patricia Rutherford. I know that as a kid, I ate my grandmother's sauerbraten, but I can't remember the flavor, so I didn't have anything to compare this to. But I was thrilled with these recipes! The meat was delicately flavored. The red cabbage had a slight tang to it, and the spaetzle, even though the dough was really sticky when I put it through my potato ricer, turned out great! Definitely keepers!"
"This was so good with the author's recipe for spatzle. I was so upset when I lost my copy of TOH in our move back to the states and just so thrilled to finally have found it again online. We are having this for Sunday dinner this week!"