Easy Santa Fe Chicken
"My day is busy from start to finish," remarks Debra Cook of Pampa, Texas. "So this quick and meaty main dish is one of my menu mainstays. With its lovely golden color, it's pretty enough to serve to company or as a special Sunday dinner."
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add broth and
- salsa; bring to a boil. stir in rice and garlic powder. Place
- chicken over rice; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer
- reaches 170°. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover
- and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 339 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 744 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white