- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add broth and salsa; bring to a boil. stir in rice and garlic powder. Place chicken over rice; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reaches 170°. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Easy Santa Fe Chicken
"This is my families favorite dinner."
"I have made this many times and everyone in the family likes it. Yummy and good for you! I make with brown rice and have to cook the rice a little before I put in the skillet so it softens up better."
"This is a flavourful, easy recipe. I omitted the onions to speed it up a little more. I also used 10 minute rice. I've found that I usually have to add about a half cup of water halfway through the cooking time, but the chicken comes out really nice and juicy. Thanks for the amazing recipe!"
"Had this recipe several times. Makes a great meal for pot luck's at the office. Never had to bring home any leftovers."