Easy Salmon Chowder
"When you live near some of the best salmon fishing in the world, you're always searching for imaginative ways to serve it," explains Mary Lou Pearce of Victoria, British Columbia. "I came up with this creamy chowder that uses salmon in place of shellfish. We love it."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups water
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked salmon
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the potatoes, vegetables,
- onion, celery seed and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the
- tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes longer.
- In ;large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper
- until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to the vegetable mixture with
- salmon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.