- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef gravy
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, saltines, egg white, milk, horseradish, salt if desired, and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture. Shape into four oval patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook patties for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove patties and keep warm. Add the gravy, mushrooms and water to skillet; cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with patties and noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Easy Salisbury Steak
"I have made this several times now. I really like it. I dont use jar gravy though, I make my own. I usually make a beef gravy, but sometimes a mushroom gravy or as someone posted, a dry onion soup mix gravy. Very versatile recipe."
"This was good. Will make again. I served with spaghetti squash instead of noodles."
"Super simple and good. I did make a change with the gravy. I used dried onion soup packets and it made such a rich, flavorful gravy that I will stick with that method. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Carol."
"This is a family favorite! I double the recipe and make extra gravy for mashed potatoes, I use the instant gravy packets."
"Used bread crumbs (bc I am "lazy"). Made my own gravy (did use worchestershire per someone else's suggestion). Was out of horseradish (go figure), SO am looking forward to trying again. otherwise, delicious!"
"I've been making this recipe for 15 years or more. I would give it 10 stars if possib!le. Don't omit the horseradish. Made it today, but was short on horseradish....used a bit of hr mustard. Turned out good. Will NEVER buy banquet Salisbury steaks again. Easy, simple, yummy. Good over mashed potatoes or buttered noodles."
"I have been looking for this recipe for years. I first saw it in Taste of Home, but my issue got lost in a move. This is the best salisbury steak recipe I have tasted. The horseradish makes the differenct. With fall around the corner, this dish is perfect as comfort food. I serve it with mashed potatoes, peas and a salad."
"Great recipe. l love the subtle background flavor provided by the horseradish. The recipe indicates that salt is optional and I believe it can be left out completely. I used package gravy and that provided plenty of salt. Don't leave the horseradish out. It is not overpowering."
"Been making this for years and love it. Quick, simple and delivers real comfort."