Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef gravy
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the onion, saltines, egg white, milk, horseradish, salt if desired, and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture. Shape into four oval patties.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook patties for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- 3. Remove patties and keep warm. Add the gravy, mushrooms and water to skillet; cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with patties and noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-fat gravy and fat-free milk and without salt or noodles) equals 248 calories, 12 g fat (0 saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 205 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.