Easy Ropa Vieja Stew Recipe
Use your slow cooker for this meaty Cuban classic, which offers bold flavors without a lot of hands-on time. —Denise Nyland, Panama City, Florida
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onions and peppers. Combine tomatoes, water, garlic, cilantro, beef bouillon, pepper, cumin and oregano; pour over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; stir in olives. Shred beef with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1.333 cups (calculated without rice) equals 306 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 821 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC