- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add onions and peppers. Combine tomatoes, water, garlic, cilantro, beef bouillon, pepper, cumin and oregano; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices; stir in olives. Shred beef with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Easy Ropa Vieja Stew(8)
Sort By :
16 ingredients in a recipe labeled "easy"? Really?
I'm a bit surprised that most reviews were 5 star. For me, it was somewhere between fair and good. I don't dislike this recipe but I would not make it again.
I left out the jalapenos and habanero, as we have little kids. I also left out the olives because we don't like them. Even without those, this recipe was excellent! I paired it with some cilantro lime rice and black beans. My husband grew up eating Mexican food, as his dad was born in Mexico. He (my husband) said that this tasted like something from a Mexican restaurant. He couldn't stop eating it!
With my crew, will need to use 2 habaneros and keep the same # jalapenos. Will use the rice too. We like hot especially on a cold winter night. We are not Mexican, but our priest is and so is his helper. My husband and the priest can eat habaneros like apples....they love this stuff.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Stew Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Stews >
- Rice Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew >