Celebrate spring with the sweet-tart taste of rhubarb in Jackie Hutshing’s simple sauce. The Sonoma, California cook enjoys it on toast, English muffins and pancakes, but it’s just as good drizzled on pound cake or ice cream.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add rhubarb; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon peel and nutmeg.
- Serve warm or chilled over pound cake or ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Rhubarb Sauce in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p26
Reviews for Easy Rhubarb Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review