- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add rhubarb; cook and stir for 5-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon peel and nutmeg.
- Serve warm or chilled over pound cake or ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Reviews for Easy Rhubarb Sauce
"Very tasty. I always used orange zest in my rhubarb. There are many varieties of rhubarb and Victoria Cherry Rhubarb is one of the best with deep red stalks. If you over sweeten your rhubarb you can counter act it by adding 1/2 tsp or more of citric acid. I keep a supply in the freezer. Rhubarb purists never mix strawberry in with it......"
"Made this, used Splenda in place of the sugar, was wonderful with low fat ice cream, topped with a crushed small mini-cone, or a few crushed cinnamon graham cracker crumbs. Wonderful old fashioned flavor dessert, and best of all simple & convenient to have on hand for unexpected coffee guests."
"I don't usually add the nutmeg or lemon peel because we like the simplicity of the recipe without those ingredients."
"My mother used to make this. We had it on toast instead of jam in the morning."