I remember eating this relish at my grandmother's over 50 years ago. My mother made it for years and now my daughters make it. It complements any meat, but I find it a "must" with meat loaf.
- 12 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Rinse four 2-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Fill all containers to within 1/2 in. of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; cover with lids. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 12 months. Thaw frozen relish in refrigerator before serving Yield: 4 pints.
Originally published as Rhubarb Relish in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p93
Reviews for Easy Rhubarb Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review