Easy Rhubarb Pie Recipe
Rhubarb adds a slightly tart flavor and a fruity touch of spring to this homemade custard pie. Our Test Kitchen staff cooked up this lighter variation on that classic favorite.
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate coated with cooking spray; trim and flute edges. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the juice concentrate, yolks and butter; mix well. Add rhubarb.
- 2. In a bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into rhubarb mixture. Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with nuts.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until golden. Cover loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes if crust is browning too quickly. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 333 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Easy Rhubarb Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC