Easy Refrigerator Pickles
This is a great way to use cucumbers and onions from the garden. Here in Upstate New York, we have an abundance of cucumbers. —Catherine Seibold, Elma, New York
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place cucumbers and onions in a large bowl; set aside. Combine
- remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir
- just until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over cucumber mixture; cool.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving.
- Yield: 6 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 58 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.