I've been making Red Velvet Cake for many years, trying slight changes in the recipe until coming up with one I consider "tried and proven." Conveniently, it starts with a cake mix and turns out beautifully every time. -Priscilla Weaver, Hagerstown, Maryland
- 1 package fudge marble cake mix (regular size)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of cake mix and baking soda. Add the buttermilk, eggs, food coloring and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add milk mixture; beat for 10 minutes or until fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Easy Red Velvet Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1998, p31
Reviews for Easy Red Velvet Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review