Easy Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1 package fudge marble cake mix (regular size)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of cake mix and baking soda. Add the buttermilk, eggs, food coloring and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add milk mixture; beat for 10 minutes or until fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Easy Red Velvet Cake
Sort By :
"The cake was fine. I too made the cake for the frosting. Very good, but I did sprinkle some red sugars on top. It gave just a little sweeter taste, which I preferred."
"This review is mainly for the frosting! It is SO nice to find a Red Velvet recipe that uses REAL Red Velvet frosting. I was introduced to Red Velvet cake by the Southern cooks in my family when I was a little girl years ago. REAL Red Velvet cake has this kind of icing, not that nasty cloying cream cheese frosting. I don't know where that idea came from. I won't eat Red Velvet cake from bakeries because they use cream cheese frosting, which is for Carrot Cake, IMHO. When you follow the directions this frosting is perfect for almost any cake. Very fluffy and not too sweet. Perfect!"
"Tray a small can of crushed pineapples. Get out all the juice with paper towels. mix with some of the frosting enough to cover the middle of the cake."
"I did not do the listed frosting. I did the frosting from the Pumpkin Sheet Cake recipe (another one of my favorites)"
"This is a great cake. The frosting is my "go to" white frosting. It is a favorite of everyone. Make sure you chill the flour mixture until it is cold."