Easy Red Velvet Cake Recipe
I've been making Red Velvet Cake for many years, trying slight changes in the recipe until coming up with one I consider "tried and proven." Conveniently, it starts with a cake mix and turns out beautifully every time. -Priscilla Weaver, Hagerstown, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package fudge marble cake mix (regular size)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the contents of cake mix and baking soda. Add the buttermilk, eggs, food coloring and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and cool to room temperature.
- 4. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add milk mixture; beat for 10 minutes or until fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 429 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 536 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC