- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, potatoes, salt, yeast mixture, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Shape into a ball; do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into 15 balls and arrange in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 45 servings.
Reviews for Easy Potato Rolls
"Easy and everyone loved them"
"I did something wrong with my yeast. It never doubled but I decided to make it anyway. best rolls me and my husband have ever had!"
"I tried this recipe today and it turned out great! Very easy to make and quite tasty, will definitely make this again!"
"This was very easy recipe to follow. As always read the recipe thoroughly first, then start following it.My kitchen must have been a little cool, because it wasn't rising in a timely manner, so I put a heating pad under the pans with a heavy towel in between the heating pad and the pans with another towel over the pans. The rolls turned out wonderful. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thank you Jeanette for passing it on."