Easy Potato Rolls Recipe
After I discovered this recipe, it became a mainstay for me. I make the dough ahead of time when company is coming, and I try to keep some in the refrigerator to make for "hay hands" on our cattle ranch. Leftover mashed potatoes are almost sure to go into these rolls. —Jeanette McKinney, Belleview, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:45 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, potatoes, salt, yeast mixture, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Shape into a ball; do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into 15 balls and arrange in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 45 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 106 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC